Wednesday 27 May 2009

Wembley Stadium - a safe place for older men

On Saturday I went by coach to Wembley Stadium with my wife and friends to watch Gillingham, our local football team play Shrewebury. I don't know much about football, but this was the 'League Two Final' and it meant the winning team would get to play better sides next season.
I counted the heads of 10 grey and/or balding men on our coach, about 20% of the passengers. Apparently, there were 38,000 Gillingham supporters in the Stadium. On the basis that 20% of them were old boys like me, there were 7,600 of us and who knows how many old boys at the Shrewsbury end.
It was a perfectly safe and peaceful environment. The game was good natured and Gillingham scored the winning and only goal when Simeon Jackson headed in the ball in the last 4 seconds of normal time. I clicked my digital camera and recorded the precise moment the ball went into the net. My friend Del Boy, who has supported
'The Gills' all his life, says I should send the picture to the Club, but make sure they know that I retain the copyright. I think I'll do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment