Saturday, 5 June 2010
Britain is a country with grumpy old men like Tony Slattery and me
Tony Slattery is a self-confessed 'Grumpy Old Man. In the link below he vents his gripes about :
Crossing the road
The underground railway
Bluetooth at 10 metres
Snobby art critics
I find he strikes a chord with me and makes me laugh a lot. My favoutite is 'Weather girls'
He is a 51 year old actor, singer and comedian who :
* came from a London a working class background
* was the fifth and last child of Irish immigrants, Michael and Margaret Slattery
* represented England in under-15 judo achieving a 'Black Belt' before he was 16.
* was educated at a boys grammar school and won a scholarship to study Modern and Medieval Languages at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, specializing in French literature and Spanish poetry.
* discovered a love of the theatre at Cambridge whare Stephen Fry invited him to become a member of the 'Cambridge Footlights'. His his fellow students included Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie, Jan Ravens, Sandi Toksvig, Morwenna Banks and Richard Vranch.