Wednesday 11 March 2020

If Britain is no country for old men, Turkmenistan is certainly one for them

I'm at a loss to explain a recent surge in interest from Turkmenistan with over 2,000 pageviews. Using Google translate, the title of my last post on the sculptor, William Mitchell, translated into Turkmen would have read : Angliýa henizem sement heýkeltaraşlygynyň halk şazadasy William Mitçel atly köne heýkeltaraş bilen "Hoşlaş" we "Sag bol" diýmeli ýurt.


I must confess, I knew next to nothing about Turkistan : that its capital is Ashgabat, that almost 94% of its population of 5.8 million follow Islam and it declared its independence from the Soviet Union in 1991. However, after a bit of nosing around I came across an article published by Radio Free Europe in 2017 entitled :


It explained that Turkmenistan's 'rubberstamp parliament' was about to lose its rubber stamp, again. In his inauguration address Turkmen President, Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov, said he would raise the status of the country's Council of Elders above that of Parliament. It meant that the group of "white beards," as they are known, all of them over 70 years old, were about to officially become the Legislative Branch of Government.


Despite this, I am still at a loss to explain the 2,295 Pageviews from Turkmenistan. I just can't imagine the Elders themselves checking out 'Britain is no country for Old Men' on their smart phones and ipads. But I might be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment