Sunday 31 January 2010

Gillingham's Football Stadium is a place for old men



















I went to Gillingham's 'Priestfield Stadium' yesterday to see the local team play 'at home' against the London team from Walsall.

I was amongst 4,795 other people in the stadium, most of them fans of the 'Gills' including my companions, our leader Del Boy, Robbie and Kelvin.

I know very little about football, but what I did observe was :

* How young the players were, with most in their 20's.

* How fast the game was, as a consequence of youth.

* How the Old Boys like me sat and cheered in the crowd.

* How the Old Boys were playing their role as supporters alongside their sons or daughters and grandchildren who were also present. It was a family event.

Gillingham occupy a place in the 'First Division'and achieved this in May 2009 with their win against Shewsbury in Wembley Stadium in May last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSWQkoo2JLE

P.S. It was very cold sitting in the Stadium. I wore 2 pairs of socks, a pair of my wife's tights, pants and undershirt, cardigan, scarf, overcoat, gloves, hat and warm shoes and I was still cold.

This is what us 'True Brits' do for our sport. Sacrifice and fortitude and no moaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment