Saturday 10 August 2019

Brexit Britain is a country where old ladies like Hazel Jones are caught with chalk and in the act of writing protests on public walls and fences

Hazel Jones, who is 71, lives in Wakefield, Yorkshire and for the past three years since the EU Referendum has been making her own small protests against the prospect of Britain leaving the European Union. Then on August 2 when was spotted by a Ms Petts writing 'Brexit is based on lies. Reject it' on the perimeter wall of a school playing field and seen pocketing the chalk before striding off with her walking stick. When Ms Petts posted her video of Hazel on Facebook it was seen by one of Hazel's children who alerted her to its existence.


Since then she has confessed that she was the smartly dressed pensioner who was the culprit behind anti-Brexit slogans that have been written in chalk across the walls and fences of the West Yorkshire town and has said : "I was a little later than usual — that was my mistake" and : “Had I known I was being filmed I would have dressed up a bit more.”

She has also : “We all have to do our bit and I think it’s very important that people are made aware of the imminent catastrophe that we will be faced with if Brexit goes through. My generation has fouled up the prospects of younger people, so it’s my grandchildren that I’m doing it for.”

Hazel would have had an uphill battle of winning the people of Wakefield to her cause : in the Referendum 66.3% of them voted opted to leave the European Union, compared to 33.6% who, like her voted to stay in.

The Grandmother of four, said that she had spent the past three years chalking hundreds of protest slogans around the town while out and about. A lifelong of the Labour Party she said that she now voted for the Liberal Democrats because of the Party’s commitment to a second referendum.

Always using chalk she said that she did not see herself as a graffiti vandal because the messages washed off in the rain and added that she always used walls and fences in public spaces and steered clear of writing her anti-Brexit commentary on houses. “I usually tend to get up early and write when I’m on my way into town or going to the shops.” 

Now Hazel's chalking days are over. “I suppose the game is up now, I can’t keep on doing it any more.” She said that she now planned to adopt a more orthodox form of protest by petitioning her Member of Parliament. “My children are worried there may be reprisals but it really never occurred to me that it was an offence. It’s just chalk after all."

"If the government chooses to deliberately impose on its own population food shortages, job losses and disruption of medical supplies, they really need not fear old ladies pointing this out.”

Caught on video : http://celbestnews.com/world-news/wakefield-grandmother-71-caught-scrawling-anti-brexit-slogans-on-a-wall/

and reported in France :


No comments:

Post a Comment