Sunday 4 October 2020

Britain is no longer a country for an old artist called David Hockney

Page views : 295

In 2018 David, who is 83 years old, was living in Los Angeles but he missed the changing seasons and, not wishing to return to Britain, the idea took root that he might settle in France in Normandy. As a result, a small farmhouse was found, with an old disused cider press close by that could be converted into his studio. Builders set to work and the next spring he moved in. He recalled :  “We arrived late on Saturday at the beginning of March and on Monday morning I started drawing.”


He painted the house, which he described as a “higgledy-piggledy” mixture of timber and brick and said : “There are so many paintings of Normandy, but nobody ever painted the buildings much. They probably thought they were too Hansel and Gretel. The impressionists wanted to be modern. They wanted railway stations, bridges and factory chimneys. But I realised that I am modern anyway, so I would do them.”

With the onset of the Covid 18 Pandemic in the spring, he said that he  : "had always planned to do lockdown here in Normandy" and that "lockdown was good for me. I didn’t mind being locked away, just doing what I do. No visitors. That was good. I get fed up with visitors. I don’t like crowds.” This might be explained by his hereditary hearing impairment, which means he can’t tell what direction from which a sound is coming. Although, ever the artist, he believes that his loss of hearing has had the effect of letting him see space more clearly : “If you’re blind you use sounds to locate space, don’t you? And I’m using it the other way now.”


Long gone is David the artist who made his name as the playboy pin-up of 1960s pop with a life of Californian hedonism, David now prefers solitude and going early to bed. Having said that, he contests : “I like being free to just think about art 24 hours a day. I can always find something to draw. I don’t think that a day has gone by when I haven’t drawn.” 

He is philosophical in old age : “The teaching of drawing is the teaching of looking. That’s the importance of art. To remind us to look and to see. Even if you are stuck inside with only one tree outside your window, you can see the leaves happen, you can see the tree grow and change. I mean, lots of people noticed spring this year and they hadn’t looked at it before. They had been too busy to notice. But when they looked at it they enjoyed it. It was spectacular this year.”

David spent his lockdown watching the progress of spring as it swept across Normandy, just as, in the past, he had watched the unfurling of itself across Yorkshire with one difference : “I was in Yorkshire, because I was by the sea, I had to drive to see the spring. Here, I’m right in the middle of it. And there’s lots more blossom here, not just blackthorn and hawthorn; there’s all the fruit trees. I didn’t have to leave this place and I did 118 pictures. All different. That’s amazing.” David is looking forward to seeing them together when they go on display at the Royal Academy in London and then the Orangerie in Paris in 2021.

“Spring is so exciting to me. It’s the best manifestation of nature in our part of the world. And we are part of nature. I know that. And I have felt that more strongly as I have grown older.” He is now eager to get to London to see the show of Titian’s poesie paintings at the National Gallery, but is cautious : "I have had 13 years more than my three score and ten. I expect I will die soon. Then oblivion. I love life and I suppose the opposite thing of love of life is fear of death.”

A confirmed cigarette smoker he said : "There are far too many bossy people in England now. They banned us from smoking - that was the start and it's getting worse and worse. So I won't return to England to live. I'm perfectly happy in France."



https://britainisnocountryforoldmen.blogspot.com/2020/04/britain-besieged-by-coronavirus.html

Wednesday, 1 April 2020

Britain, besieged by coronavirus, receives a healing dose of 'joie de vivre' from its old painter living in France, David Hockney

No comments:

Post a Comment