Wednesday 27 April 2011

Britain is a Country where 97 year old men like George Moyse take to the air and sky dive













The B.B.C. report :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7983401.stm

Two years ago and to celebrate his approaching 98th birthday, George Moyse jumped out of a plane at 3,000 metres and into the record books to become Britain's oldest-ever parachutist.

George, who was strapped to his instructor in the tandem jump, was in a free fall for the first 1,500 metres and then floated to a perfect landing on Salisbury Plain, in Wiltshire.
After the jump George, who served in the Royal Air Forces 'No 1 Armoured Car Company' in the Middle East during the Second World War, said of his jump:

"It was lovely, I really enjoyed it, I wasn't frightened at all" and added "It was the first time but it won't be the last."

"I do not sit around, I get about, I go for a walk every day and I do my own cooking, washing, ironing, everything. I have just been lucky to be so agile."

In addition to celebrating his birthday, George made the jump to raise money for the Royal National Lifeboat Institute.

George, who was joined in his jump by his 43-year-old Grandson, clocked just over 193kilometers per hours in his free fall decent, was met him on the ground by members of his family, including his great-grandson, who were delighted with his achievement.

P.S.

George, with his quintessential British understatement, reminds me of a posting I did about 75 year old Chris Irwen, who jumped off a cliff in the West Country last year :

http://britainisnocountryforoldmen.blogspot.com/2010/11/britain-is-country-which-needs-more-and.html

No comments:

Post a Comment