Monday 13 May 2019

Britain is a country where old men bid "Farewell" to Doris Day who beguiled them with her voice and presence on the cinema screen when they were boys

What you possibly didn't know about American actor and singer Doris, who has died at the age of 97, that she :

* was born Doris Kappelhoff in 1922, in the Cincinnati, where her father was a music teacher and choir master and her grandparents German immigrants.

* had a car accident in 1937, which damaged her legs and curtailed her prospects as a professional dancer and while recovering, took singing lessons and at 17, began performing locally.

* had her first hit recording, 'Sentimental Journey', in 1945, which soon became popular with demobbed soldiers from The Second World War.


* in 1953, appeared as 'Calamity Jane', which I saw at the Gaumont Cinema in Lewisham, London with Mum and Dad when I was 6 years old.

* won the Academy Award for 'Best Original Song' for 'Secret Love'.

* also sang : 'The Deadwood Stage' and 'The Black Hills of Dakota'


* starred in Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Man Who Knew Too Much' in 1956 and sang "Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)" which won an Academy Award for 'Best Original Song' and became her signature song.

* caught up with the sexual revolution with had her last major hit in "Move Over, Darling" from the film in which starred with James Garner, which I saw at the Gaumont Cinema in Lewisham with my girlfriend when I was 17 years old.
Britain in 1964 with

* also sang "I'm beginning to see the light."

* over the course of her career, appeared in 39 films, was ranked the' biggest box office' star for four years in the 1960's and in 2012 was ranked sixth among the top 10 box office performers, male and female, of all time and released 29 albums.

* recorded her last album in 1967, 'The Love Album', which was not released until 1995.


* was an outspoken animal rights activist after her retirement from show business.

"Move Over Darling"

Our lips shouldn’t touch.
Move over darling.
I like it too much.
Move over darling.
That gleam in your eyes is no big surprise anymore,
Cos you fooled me before.

I’m all in a spin.
Move over darling.
I’ve got to give in.
Move over darling.
And though it’s not right, I’m too weak to fight it somehow,
Cos I want you right now.

The way you sigh, has me waving my conscience bye-bye.
You can call me a fickle thing,
But I’m practically yours forever, because

I yearn to be kissed.
Move over darling.
How can I resist.
Move over darling.
You captured my heart, and now that I’m no longer free,
Make love to me.

The way you sigh,
Has me waving my conscience good-bye.
You can call me a fickle thing,
But I’m practically yours forever, because

I yearn to be kissed.
Move over darling.
How can I resist.
Move over darling
Please give me your love, I’m longing for you.
I need all your love, honest I do.
You captured my heart and now that I’m no longer free

Make love to me.
Move over darling....

No comments:

Post a Comment