Tuesday 26 April 2011

Britain is a country where old men fear being victims of 'ageism' more than becoming victims of 'crime'


A joint study by the Thinktank 'Demos' and Brunel University has found that :

* over-60's fear 'age discrimination' more than being a 'victim of crime'.

* many think they are viewed as a 'burden on society' and feel patronised.

* one pensioner said: "I am sick of the portrayal of my age group by Government reports and news."


Louise Bazalgette, one of the report's authors said of this generation of old people that they are unlike any before because :

* there are more of them, they will live longer are healthier, willing to work for longer and have more political and spending power.

* in their youth they tackled discrimination of sexism, racism and homophobia and now they're taking on one of the last acceptable prejudices and want to stand up to challenge 'ageism'.

"One clear theme that came through the research was that most people in their 60's and 70's don't think of themselves as old and don't want to be treated as being vulnerable or invisible."







This reminds me of my first posting on this blog on Tuesday, 5 May 2009 when I wrote :

Invisible at a petrol station

When you get beyond 60 you become invisible. I went to my local petrol station, filled up and went in to pay.

The cashier said " Number ?". I mean, what happened to "please" ?

I barked back, " Ten".

While I was doing my card transaction I became even more invisible because the cashier answered a call on her mobile.

" Yes, put the cat out and phone Gran. Yes. Yes.Yes. ".

I turned to the lady with graying hair behind me
and said :
" I can't believe this, she's having a phone conversation while serving me."

She said " I know, it can be scary at times, but I try to blank my mind to it."

I said: " Dare I say it, you must be from the same generation as me."

The cashier offered no thanks, but I offered an exaggerated " Thankyou" and left.

http://britainisnocountryforoldmen.blogspot.com/2009/05/invisible-at-petrol-station.html

No comments:

Post a Comment