Old Thespian Joanna Lumley is 64 today.
Things you probably did know about Joanna :
* starred in the British television series 'The New Avengers', 'Sapphire and Steel', 'Absolutely Fabulous' and 'Sensitive Skin' and is also a former model, a 'human rights' and 'animal welfare activist' and promoter of the 'Gurkha Justice Campaign'.
And probably didn't know :
* Born in India in the princely state of Jammu and Kashmir. Her father was Major James Rutherford Lumley, who served in the 6th Gurkha Rifles, a regiment of the Indian Army. After the independence of India in 1947, the Lumleys moved to Malaya (now Malaysia) and later settled in Kent, England.
* Was educated at St Mary's School in Hastings, East Sussex, England, and afterwards attended the Lucy Clayton School of modelling.
* Did not receive any formal training at drama school. Her acting career began in 1969 with a small role in the film 'Some Girls Do' and as a Bond girl in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'
* Went on to have a brief but memorable role in Coronation Street, in which her character turned down Ken Barlow's offer of marriage.
* In February 2010, Joanna Lumley was awarded 'The Oldie of The Year Award' by The Oldie Magazine for her work with the Gurkha soldiers.
* As an activist she has also supported the exiled 'Tibetan people and government', the 'Kondha indigenous people of India' and the 'Prospect Burma Charity' which offers grants to Burmese students.
Here she is in the 'New Avengers' from the 1970's and looking wonderful :