David Cameron (second in from the left in the top row) and other Bullingdon Club members at Oxford.
Britain has a new Government of young men who are linked by background, friendship and family ties — but most of all by class. Nothing changes here. Britain may be a democracy, but it always has and still is governed by toffs.
David Cameron, 43, the Prime Minister :
* son of a stockbroker and grandson of a baronet.
* a descendant of King William IV and distantly related to the Queen.
* an Old Etonian.
* a former member of the Bullingdon Club, the elitist Oxford University drinking and dining clique.
Nick Clegg, 43, Deputy Prime Minister :
* former pupil of Westminster School.
* Cambridge University graduate.
* Grandmother was a White Russian baroness and his great-uncle was clubbed to death in Russia by his own peasants.
* parents live in a vast chateau in France.
George Osborne, 38, the Chancellor :
* former pupil of St Paul’s School.
* Oxford graduate and a former member of the Bullingdon Club.
* a millionaire through his family firm, Osborne & Little, which makes paint and wallpaper.
Michael Gove, 42, the Education Secretary :
* former president of the Oxford Union.
William Hague, 49, the Foreign Secretary :
* former pupil at Wath-upon-Dearne comprehensive in South Yorkshire.
* Graduate of Oxford University.
* former editor of the 'News of the World'.
* plays a key role in reminding the public-school dominated inner circle of the new Government of the hopes and fears of tabloid readers.
Andrew Feldman 44, co-chairman of the Conservative party :
* friend of Cameron since they were at Brasenose College, Oxford,
* likely to be elevated to the House of Lords as a Junior Minister.
Chris Huhne, 55, the Liberal Democrat Energy and Climate Change Secretary :
* former Westminster School pupil.
* Oxford graduate.
* former journalist.
* made a fortune in the City before moving into politics.
* owns seven homes.
David Laws, 44, Liberal Democrat Chief Secretary to the Treasury :
* Cambridge graduate he took a double first in economics.
* did well in the City — he worked for JP Morgan.
Samantha Cameron, 39 :
* eldest daughter of Sir Reginald Adrian Berkeley Sheffield, 8th Baronet, and a descendant of Charles II.
* successful businesswoman, working until recently as creative director of Smythson, the Bond Street stationer.
Mrs Clegg, 42 :
* is Miriam Gonzalez Durantez.
* a high-earning international lawyer.
Britain 50 years ago :
Post a Comment