'That is no country for old men....Caught in that sensual music all neglect Monuments of unageing intellect.' W.B.Yeats 'Sailing To Byzantium.' 1926
Tuesday, 26 October 2010
Britain says "Happy Birthday" to Bob Hoskins
Bob Hoskins the screen and t.v. actor is 76 years old today.
Things you probably did know about Bob, that he :
* is known for playing 'Cockney' rough diamonds, psychopaths and gangsters.
* starred in film 'The Long Good Friday', Mona Lisa, 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' and 'Hook'.
Long Good Friday :
..........and more at the bottom of the page :
Mona Lisa :
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Things you possibly didn't know, that he :
* was born in Suffolk, the son of mother who was cook and nursery-school teacher and father who was a bookkeeper and lorry driver.
* had a grandmother who was a Romani.
* was brought up as an atheist by his father who was a Communist.
* at the age of 25 spent a short time in kibbutz in Israel.
* had his first tv role was in 'On the Move' in 1978, an educational series tackling adult illiteracy and in which he played 'removal man Alf', who had problems reading and writing.
* came to wider attention as a sheet music salesman in the BBC's adaption of Dennis Potter's 'Pennies from Heaven'
* played Iago in Jonathan Miller's BBC's production of Othello.
* for his performance in 'Mona Lisa' won a series of awards.
* made his first appearance to American audiences in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit', for which he received a second Golden Globe nomination.
* played opposite Cher in 'Mermaids' in 1990, boatswain Smee in 'Captain Hook' in 1991 and Nikita Khrushchev in 'Enemy at the Gates' in 2001 .
* made a return to British tv in 2009 in the drama serial 'The Street', playing a publican who stands up to a local gangster.
Talks about his career :
Long Good Friday :
Part 2 :
Part 3 :
Part 4 :
Part 5 :
Part 6 :
Posted by ...............................JohnBoy at 08:43
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment